User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Red Dwarf easter weekend spoiler

Red Dwarf easter weekend spoiler
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Andrew Message #109767, posted by andrew at 18:42, 8/4/2009
HandbagHandbag Boi
Rimmer dead again? No Chochanski? Will this be explained?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #109776, posted by Lampi at 08:04, 12/4/2009, in reply to message #109767
Lampi

Does anyone care anymore? Really?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #109778, posted by andypoole at 08:49, 12/4/2009, in reply to message #109776
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Does anyone care anymore? Really?
Yes!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #109781, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:23, 13/4/2009, in reply to message #109778
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

re: moss on the DwarfCasts - yes, I think it's just you. tongue

As someone who enjoys watching Red Dwarf when it's on, but who hasn't actually seen that much of it, and someone who hasn't seen Blade Runner either, nor Coronation Street for that matter... I liked it.

First episode could have been a bit tighter to account for the missing audience laughter (I didn't mind not having a laughter track, but I thought the early bunkroom scenes had too many long pauses where one should be), and it could have done with a quickj 'Next Time' teaser to overcome the chopped up nature of the shows.

Second and third episodes had lots of laughs for me.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #109782, posted by andypoole at 13:32, 13/4/2009, in reply to message #109781
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

As someone who enjoys watching Red Dwarf when it's on, but who hasn't actually seen that much of it, and someone who hasn't seen Blade Runner either, nor Coronation Street for that matter... I liked it.

First episode could have been a bit tighter to account for the missing audience laughter (I didn't mind not having a laughter track, but I thought the early bunkroom scenes had too many long pauses where one should be), and it could have done with a quickj 'Next Time' teaser to overcome the chopped up nature of the shows.

^this.

The ad breaks could have done with at least a RD logo or something.. Particularly in episode one where it just literally flicked from RD to a Mitchell and Webb advert..

Overall, I liked it. I'll probably pick up the DVD when it's out to compliment the other eight RD DVDs on the shelf.

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #109783, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:43, 13/4/2009, in reply to message #109767

Chochanski?
Oh, this requires a photoshopping of Peter Naulls and Chloe Annett, definitely. tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Poole Message #109784, posted by andypoole at 14:00, 13/4/2009, in reply to message #109783
andypoole
Mouse enthusiast
Web
Twitter

Chochanski?
Oh, this requires a photoshopping of Peter Naulls and Chloe Annett, definitely. tongue
Well get on with it, then grin

Andy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #109786, posted by andrew at 20:48, 13/4/2009, in reply to message #109782
HandbagHandbag Boi

^this.

The ad breaks could have done with at least a RD logo or something.. Particularly in episode one where it just literally flicked from RD to a Mitchell and Webb advert..

Overall, I liked it. I'll probably pick up the DVD when it's out to compliment the other eight RD DVDs on the shelf.

Andy.
Yes, how much effort would it have taken to add a title before the break.

The story was very much like Back to Reality. I thought the ending was quite good with Lister choosing to leave the hallucination and the surprise (for me) appearance of Kochanski.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Message #109787, posted by Mark76 at 22:47, 13/4/2009, in reply to message #109786
Mark76

Just watched all three parts again earlier.

I can appreciate the Blade Runner in-jokes now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #109788, posted by filecore at 05:25, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109786

I thought the ending was quite good with Lister choosing to leave the hallucination and the surprise (for me) appearance of Kochanski.
Awww. I know the thread title said 'spoiler' but I looked and the first few posts (over the frist few days) didn't spoil much, until this one. That's a shame. I haven't watched it yet - you didn't need to make it such a blatant spoiler Crybaby
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Message #109789, posted by Mark76 at 06:30, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109788
Mark76

That's where spoiler tags (yes they do exist) come in handy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #109790, posted by monkeyson2 at 09:58, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109789

They do?
Spoiler
Really?
shock

The word 'spoiler' in the thread title kinda implies it too - I didn't read it until after I'd watched it all.

Once it's been broadcast it's fair game, surely?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #109791, posted by filecore at 11:15, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109790

The word 'spoiler' in the thread title kinda implies it too
I already conceded that one big smile

Once it's been broadcast it's fair game, surely?
Not really - somebody spoiled the end of Sixth Sense for me with that exact same justification. Just because it's out doesn't mean I've seen it!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Challands Message #109792, posted by SimonC at 14:42, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109791
Elite
Right on, Commander!

First part - valid criticisms given above, but it felt more like Red Dwarf than the rest. The other two episodes were far too self-aware, and whilst the Blade Runner stuff was mildly amusing there didn't seem to be any actual point to it.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Mark Message #109793, posted by Mark76 at 15:48, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109790
Mark76

They do?
Spoiler
Really?
shock

Yeah, but the only place I've ever seen the code used is www.doctorwhoforum.com
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #109794, posted by andrew at 18:49, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109793
HandbagHandbag Boi
Any guesses why Rimmer was not the "alive" Rimmer from series 8?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #109795, posted by filecore at 21:00, 14/4/2009, in reply to message #109793

They do?
Spoiler
Really?
shock
Yeah, but the only place I've ever seen the code used is doctorwhoforum.com
Nah, I've seen it on use on many forums. I'm sure it's probably (at least, by now) standard on many phpBB forums, or at least an easily-accessible plugin. Damn you TIB for having non-generic forum software.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #109796, posted by Lampi at 11:30, 15/4/2009, in reply to message #109794
Lampi

Lazy writers who have contempt for the viewer?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #109797, posted by rich at 12:48, 15/4/2009, in reply to message #109795
Rich
Dictator for life
They do?
Spoiler
Really?
shock
Yeah, but the only place I've ever seen the code used is doctorwhoforum.com
Nah, I've seen it on use on many forums. I'm sure it's probably (at least, by now) standard on many phpBB forums, or at least an easily-accessible plugin. Damn you TIB for having non-generic forum software.
I thought about putting them in many a time, but I couldn't think of a proper way to implement them that would work properly on Fresco, Netsurf et al. (no CSS in Fresco, no Javascript in Netsurf). I even thought about black-on-black invis-o-text for a while, but for some reason even that wouldn't work (I think some browsers didn't redraw the colours properly when you selected text, or couldn't select text properly, or something).
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #109798, posted by monkeyson2 at 13:58, 15/4/2009, in reply to message #109797

I thought about putting them in many a time, but I couldn't think of a proper way to implement them that would work properly on Fresco, Netsurf et al. (no CSS in Fresco, no Javascript in Netsurf).
It would have to be server side.

If any messages on the page have spoilers, replace the text with "**** SPOILERS ****", and display a link somewhere to the same URL with an additional query string parameter that disables the replacement.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #109846, posted by flibble at 15:35, 20/4/2009, in reply to message #109767
flibble

Was the spoiler that it wasn't very good?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #109855, posted by rich at 06:51, 22/4/2009, in reply to message #109798
Rich
Dictator for life
I thought about putting them in many a time, but I couldn't think of a proper way to implement them that would work properly on Fresco, Netsurf et al. (no CSS in Fresco, no Javascript in Netsurf).

If any messages on the page have spoilers, replace the text with "**** SPOILERS ****", and display a link somewhere to the same URL with an additional query string parameter that disables the replacement.
Bleh.

Presumably you'd either have to have the page revealing all spoilers[*], or have serial numbers built in to go to multiple different "pages" to reveal individual spoilers. But a nasty kludgey idea either way, compared to just manipulating the css display property.

* Although admittedly that's fairly similar to some code I've been messing with recently - caching blog posts to flat files, you have to strip out contextual links (e.g. log in/log out) before writing the cached version out. Mine replaces them with a message warning people, and a link to a proper, uncached version of the page (which assumes most people just want to read the content and don't care about these links).

Of course all four versions - to view the page in whatever state the admin decides, to generate the cached version, to view the uncached version, and to delete the cached version - are the same page called slightly differently (very differently, with .htaccess magic). And the make- or delete-cache versions don't actually display anything, triggered by an AJAXy contextual button and just returning an OK status.

________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #109856, posted by rich at 07:02, 22/4/2009, in reply to message #109846
Rich
Dictator for life
Was the spoiler that it wasn't very good?
The first episode was quite good (production values were surprisingly good) but sorely missing the laugh track: having once seen M*A*S*H where the BBC had forgotten to remove the American canned laughter track, and finding it bloody awful, this seems almost an odd thing to say. A proper studio audience laugh track though, that can really add to a comedy, instead of jokes just tumbling into the vacuum of space.

It ended really abruptly, like they'd filmed this as one big film and chopped it into three.

Then it got a bit silly in the second episode and I switched off. It was basically a rip-off of the idea behind the League of Gentlemen movie[*], although they go on to "homage" Bladerunner a lot apparently. I did see the eye designer chap during channel surfing.

I've got them saved on my PVR, but I'm not that fussed about finishing it.

* Note: *not* LXG, that didn't have any ideas
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #109857, posted by filecore at 07:43, 22/4/2009, in reply to message #109856

I've got them saved on my PVR, but I'm not that fussed about finishing it.
I've still not gotten around to watching them, but that's not exactly a resounding vote of confidence.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Tony Haines Message #109858, posted by Loris at 08:32, 22/4/2009, in reply to message #109855
madbanHa ha, me mine, mwahahahaha

You want multiple spoilers per page? You want Rot19.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Goodwin Message #110137, posted by rich at 13:11, 26/5/2009, in reply to message #109858
Rich
Dictator for life

You want multiple spoilers per page? You want Rot19.
As RISC OS browsers don't have plugins that allow for decoding, I'll stick to ROT26[*] encoding for now.

* It's similar to ROT13, but twice as secure wink
________
RichGCheers,
Rich.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Keith Kelly Message #110324, posted by Games at 23:11, 25/6/2009, in reply to message #109794

Probably the same reason that almost the entire crew has been killed and the Squid being in the Water Tank. They forgot several things that happened in the last couple of series before it and/or the writer could not be bothered to explain that the story went on for 10 years after the end of Series 8.

I thought it was quite good the way the story explained certain aspects, but there were a few missing explanations (such as Rimmer being a Hard-Light Hologram, I think).

Really need to re-watch it.
________
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/recognition/46884.html?type=1
Guides I have written
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Message #116608, posted by andrew at 12:32, 13/2/2011, in reply to message #110324
HandbagHandbag Boi
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1348939/Craig-Charles-confirms-Red-Dwarf-new-series.html
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #116731, posted by moss at 21:20, 26/2/2011, in reply to message #116608

An interview I've done with Nic Farey, founder of The Official Red Dwarf Fanclub (and Maxine Lehmann, an early team member):

http://www.ganymede.tv/indepth/the-beginning

It does include possibly the best answer I've ever had to an interview question.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Willcocks Message #116738, posted by Stoppers at 10:48, 27/2/2011, in reply to message #116731
It does include possibly the best answer I've ever had to an interview question.
Which one?

"In other news, I went to jail a couple of times."?

Actually, I'd guess the penultimate question.

[Edited by Stoppers at 10:51, 27/2/2011]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): 1 > >|

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: Red Dwarf easter weekend spoiler