Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
- Archive Edition 27:1 reviewed (News:)
- Rougol April 2024 meeting on monday is Anniversary time (News:1)
- WROCC April 2024 meeting o...changes to our phone lines (News:1)
- April developer 'fireside' chat is on saturday night (News:)
- March 2024 News Summary (News:4)
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: What's your next computer?

What's your next computer?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Jason Togneri Message #106429, posted by filecore at 16:24, 13/2/2008, in reply to message #106427

There is a model with a higher-res/bigger screen coming out, I think.
I was wondering, because there are some almost-eeePC-sized laptops available normally in the shops, with better screens than that. Frankly, I just don't see the eee's appeal.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106618, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:14, 4/3/2008, in reply to message #106429
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

It looks like I bought that case a bit too late, because one of my hard disks has now died. Wah!

Luckily it was the one with only data on it. Unluckily that data was a collection of 100+ films/TV programmes recorded and watched/waiting to be watched. And probably some massively important things which I've forgotten about.

Maybe it's about time I tried RAID. And making backups.

*attempts to resurrect drive*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106619, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:23, 4/3/2008, in reply to message #106618

It span up when I plugged the power in!

IT'S ALIVE!!!!111 etc.

But by whatever magic SpeedFan analyses the SMART data, it reckons the drive is only at 43% fitness. So I guess I'd better hurry up and decide WTF I want the replacement(s) to be like.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #106622, posted by filecore at 07:49, 4/3/2008, in reply to message #106619

If the read heads for the platters have siezed up, they may be removable by freezing the hard drive. This will cause the heads to shrink away from the platters, allowing some time to retrieve the data before they warm up and expand again.

If it's a drive electronics problem, simply swap out the electronics from a similar defunt drive (I have a pile of them here, and your local computer repair place should be able to help you with bits from dead hard drives too).

If it's a problem with almost everything, then as a last resort, you might be able to swap the actual physical platters into a dead drive of the same type. However, this is guaranteed to cause the eventual sudden demise of the drive (they're vacuum-sealed, you know) so should only be used as a last, desperate measure.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106623, posted by Phlamethrower at 08:45, 4/3/2008, in reply to message #106622

I don't think things are quite *that* desperate. The drive is now sitting safely on my desk, so as long as it agrees to power up properly in a couple of days when the replacement arrives everything should be OK.

I've also ordered a 1TB drive + external enclosure for backups, which seems to be a cheaper option than all the 1TB external solutions I've seen, especially if I want eSATA. It's also a bit easier to take with me in times of emergency than any internal RAID setup would be.

As an aside, the new drive will be called Sally, for obvious reasons. And I bet you thought the others were named after the three stooges! (n.b. I am aware of the irony that Tom, Dick and Harry from 3rd Rock probably are named after the 3 stooges. But unless there is a 4th, lesser-known, female stooge, it's now quite clear that my drives are not named after them.)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #106641, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:25, 5/3/2008, in reply to message #106623

While formatting the new drive the PC decided to crash the same way as it did when the old drive failed (total lockup with HD light on; reboot results in lockup during Windows loading with HD light on; second reboot results in stalling on BIOS post screen while scanning for hard discs). So maybe it's the SATA controller on the motherboard that's faulty and not the HD's.

The drive is now formatted and the files are copying from the old one OK, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens next. Even if the old drive didn't fail I've now got a 100% healthy drive instead of a 43% healthy one (or so I hope), as well as a convenient place to put backups (and the conviction to use it). And a free defrag from copying all the files over!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107319, posted by Phlamethrower at 23:31, 14/5/2008, in reply to message #106619

Starting with SpeedFan 4.28, fitness and performance overall indicators are computed using a more advanced structure.

The owners of SEAGATE hard disks now should see less frightening values.
Ah, that explains why the dodgy looking fitness value from earlier isn't dodgy anymore. Hurrah!

My new computer bits have finally arrived, in case any of you care. Q9450 + 2GB of RAM (and a shiny 24" monitor that I got a few months ago).

My PSU hasn't exploded, the stock CPU cooler seems to do an adequate job, the SATA controller hasn't locked up the computer yet, and my current graphics card seems to be handling about as well as it did with the old setup even though it's now running at almost twice the resolution. And in the less shader-intensive games like TF2 and ETQW my framerate has improved. Hurrah!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107528, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:33, 29/5/2008, in reply to message #107319

Note to self: Don't try downgrading from the beta BIOS, it will hose your MAC address.

Especially don't try this on a weekday.

*staggers off to bed*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107561, posted by Phlamethrower at 00:55, 4/6/2008, in reply to message #107528

Interesting - it looks like it was my firewall that's been preventing my last 5 years worth of computers from entering sleep mode.

With my new hardware the firewall has also been causing BSODs around 80% of the time I try launching Source games (which took a while to track down simply because Windows was being wanky and not writing dump files because my swap file wasn't on the boot partition).

And in the past I've also blamed it for BSODs when plugging in a USB wifi adapter.

So, Kerio Personal Firewall 2.1.5. Not so good after all.
And Comodo Firewall Pro, not so good either, since it keeps spamming windows installer popups every time certain programs try to connect to the internet. And although you can specify global rules for things you also need to specify per-program rules as well, which means my global rule for local network access is useless, and I'll probably end up with 10 billion more rules than before. (Also it may have broken NFS - any action which requires large packets/transfers doesn't seem to work anymore)

So, anyone got any recommendations for a firewall that is:
(a) A firewall and nothing else (e.g. no malware checker that asks my permission every time a program tries to run another program or write a file)
(b) Has the ability to specify low-level rules for what IP ranges/ports/protocols/etc. individual programs can access.
(c) As well as the ability to specify global rules that work properly
(d) Doesn't hog resources, use a broken install mechanism, crash the computer, or prevent certain functions from operating (e.g. sleep mode)
(e) Doesn't try being smart and spawning rules of its own accord (Comodo seems to do this unless you find the right option and tell it otherwise)
(f) Free (obviously)

Also I have Wake on Lan working. Hurrah! (Although the linux box that's built from the old computer refuses to do sleep mode or WOL - which makes using it in any kind of automated system rather tricky - and if I want to send a WOL packet while I'm not at home I'll have to run the gambit of installing some 3rd-party router firmware, and then be restricted to doing it via the web interface instead of just sending a packet off)

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 01:00, 4/6/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #107562, posted by filecore at 06:04, 4/6/2008, in reply to message #107561

I use Sygate Personal Firewall, and it fits points A and C-F. I'm not sure about B, and I may be off on a couple of things (I've really not investigated it in that depth for a long time) but it's a place to start looking.

EDIT: This seems to be what you're after: "You can adjust Sygate Personal Firewall's settings regarding applications, trusted IP addresses, ports, protocols, and scheduling to secure many types of network configurations or requirements. Its online tools can check your system and locate security vulnerabilities. These active scans report the number, nature, and severity of system-security risks. You can then adjust the security status of your system at any time and audit the effectiveness of your entire system-security policy."

EDIT 2: "Note: Sygate was purchased by Symantec and this consumer version of the product has been discontinued."

However the free versions of the program are still easily available on teh internets, so grab one while you can. I didn't know about the Symantec purchase but hey, a firewall doesn't need to be as up-to-date as an AV client, so long as it does its job.

[Edited by filecore at 06:11, 4/6/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Chris Wade Message #107563, posted by cakewalker at 01:01, 5/6/2008, in reply to message #106429
There is a model with a higher-res/bigger screen coming out, I think.
I was wondering, because there are some almost-eeePC-sized laptops available normally in the shops, with better screens than that. Frankly, I just don't see the eee's appeal.
Sony and Toshiba make some very appealing 'mini laptops', not to mention Apple's offering, but they're all several times the price of the eee. We're fortunate to have both - my partner has a Portege, we share an eeePC and I've a big, fairly cheap desktop-replacement type Vaio. The eee gets used regularly - it's with my other half at a conference abroad right now.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107583, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:46, 7/6/2008, in reply to message #107562

I use Sygate Personal Firewall, and it fits points A and C-F. I'm not sure about B, and I may be off on a couple of things (I've really not investigated it in that depth for a long time) but it's a place to start looking.
I've just installed Sygate 5.6 and it seems to be doing the trick so far. It seems a bit less flexible than Kerio (mainly that there's no way of creating a rule that covers TCP and UDP), but on the upside my global rules are working globally, NFS is working properly again, and there aren't Windows installer popups appearing all the time. Now to see if Source games are able to make it crash or not smile

Thanks for the recommendation! (Although I would have gotten to Sygate eventually - I've heard Sygate and Zone Alarm being mentioned a lot as good firewalls, and the only reason I tried the previously-unknown Comodo first because it was mentioned specifically by someone as being a good Kerio replacement)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107586, posted by Phlamethrower at 20:02, 7/6/2008, in reply to message #107583

Bah, Sygate doesn't like NFS much after all. If I use a buffer size of 2K or larger it thinks it's an IP fragmentation DoS attack and blocks the connection after only transferring 1MB or so of data. And because it's the free version of the firewall you can't turn off the DoS detection indiff

So I'm either going to have to stick with a 1K buffer (and a rather pants ~2MB/sec transfer speed) or ditch Sygate and find another firewall that works better. (I've been able to get a 4MB/sec transfer speed by using an 8K buffer - but haven't checked whether that's the best possible between an Iyonix and a PC)

[edit]

(4-5MB/sec seems to be the max, for which you need a 3K or larger buffer)

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 20:17, 7/6/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #107704, posted by moss at 22:25, 24/6/2008, in reply to message #107586

Back on-topic for a moment - I'm now in a POSITION to buy a Macbook Pro!

BUT: I'm wondering whether they're likely to release an entirely new model this year. The current form factor has been around for a while now, after all. Anyone got any guesses? monkey? If they're going to release a new one within a year, I should probably wait...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #107705, posted by monkeyson2 at 22:54, 24/6/2008, in reply to message #107704
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

Back on-topic for a moment - I'm now in a POSITION to buy a Macbook Pro!
Yay! gringrin Changed your mind about the MacBook Air then?

I've been thinking about getting a new Mac for ages now - but I'm hanging on for the mythical new MacBook Pro. (I've been waiting since before the aluminium iMacs were released!)

That said, I'm happy waiting at the moment - paying for a holiday, new digital camera, and an iPhone 3G over the next month is quite enough! wink

BUT: I'm wondering whether they're likely to release an entirely new model this year. The current form factor has been around for a while now, after all. Anyone got any guesses? monkey? If they're going to release a new one within a year, I should probably wait...
The MacRumors buyers guide suggests a new model won't be released for a new months - the Intel Montevina chipset is due sometime in August. Probably a small CPU increase, better graphics card - maybe a case redesign too. Nehalem will be ready late 2008/early 2009 and is a more significant hardware change, so Apple might hang on until then.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #107706, posted by moss at 23:16, 24/6/2008, in reply to message #107705

I really, really like the Air... but I've decided it's a bit too underpowered for me. It'd be fine if I was using it as a secondary computer, but I'll probably use my next laptop as my main computer too.

I guess I'd better wait for the next revision of the Pro, if one may well happen within a year. A speed bump I could cope with missing out on, but I'd rather not miss out on an entire case redesign, if only because it's likely to be thinner and lighter. (Also, it's possible they might do what they did with the iMac, and make it cheaper at the same time...)

Like you, I'll just have to cope with my new iPhone next month to keep me going smile (I'm lucky enough to have an Apple Store in Exeter, so I can pop along there on launch day. Excitement!)
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #107708, posted by monkeyson2 at 23:56, 24/6/2008, in reply to message #107706

I guess I'd better wait for the next revision of the Pro, if one may well happen within a year.
That's what I said this time last year! wink

Like you, I'll just have to cope with my new iPhone next month to keep me going smile (I'm lucky enough to have an Apple Store in Exeter, so I can pop along there on launch day. Excitement!)
I don't know if I'm going to be able to get it on launch day (I've already got plans for that evening which rules out a 6pm launch).
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #107711, posted by flibble at 11:45, 25/6/2008, in reply to message #107708
flibble

My next computer ended up being a 10 year old Sun E220, it's not light, it's not quiet, it's not very fast smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Ian Cook Message #107712, posted by ilcook at 19:01, 25/6/2008, in reply to message #107706
trainResident idiot
I'm lucky enough to have an Apple Store in Exeter,)
Well I've got three of them within easy travelling distance. grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #107713, posted by Phlamethrower at 19:43, 25/6/2008, in reply to message #107712

I'm lucky enough to have an Apple Store in Exeter,)
Well I've got three of them within easy travelling distance. grin
You say that like it's a good thing! tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Scholes Message #107753, posted by jymbob at 15:09, 3/7/2008, in reply to message #107563
To jump in:
Having oohed and aahed at mini vaios for many a year, I'm finally buying my first ever new computer that comes with an OS! (Built all my PCs from parts, so they don't count; RiscPC was from my old school, although now upgraded far beyond recognition; Iyonix was won in a contest so doesn't count either)

EeePC 901 ordered, expected by the weekend, or early next week at the latest.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Somerville Message #107757, posted by Matthew at 23:29, 3/7/2008, in reply to message #107753
Matthew

Where are you getting yours from? I've been seriously considering getting one too...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108193, posted by Phlamethrower at 22:45, 29/8/2008, in reply to message #107757

Another successful procedure:

New Radeon 4870 + PSU that won't melt when I turn the computer on = Crysis @ 30-40fps, 1920x1200, everything on High. Hurrah! (Although the real reason for the new card was that STALKER Clear Sky is out next week, and my old card only manages ~20fps in STALKER:SoC and stutters horribly whenever there are lightning effects. Plus I just received my bonus.)

The only downside to the 4870 seems to be that the fan is capable of being monstorously loud. So far the only time I've heard it at full-tilt is for the few seconds after turning the computer on; for the rest of the time it's at a much more manageable level. During regular desktop use it spends most of the time silent, only occasionally speeding up a bit (which is probably more annoying than if it were to constantly stay at the slightly-faster speed). Playing ETQW with headphones I didn't notice any extra noise in the background, but during the quiet bits of Crysis I did - so hopefully it won't annoy me too much for most of the games I'll be playing. The noise during Crysis was also nowhere near the noise it makes when you turn it on, so hopefully it will never reach full fan speed during actual use.

Also the current drivers seem to break GLQuake unhappy

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 22:46, 29/8/2008]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #108194, posted by flibble at 13:05, 30/8/2008, in reply to message #108193
flibble

I've got a Advent branded MSI Wind turning up some time next week. To replace my aged, but dinky, Sony Vaio U1.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #108309, posted by Phlamethrower at 13:32, 6/9/2008, in reply to message #108193

New Radeon 4870 + PSU that won't melt when I turn the computer on = Crysis @ 30-40fps, 1920x1200, everything on High. Hurrah!
And it's a good job too, since Clear Sky seems to be about as demanding (if not more so) than Crysis when using DX 9 with all the bells and whistles. SoC was getting 120+ with the new card!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108513, posted by monkeyson2 at 17:55, 9/10/2008, in reply to message #107706

I guess I'd better wait for the next revision of the Pro, if one may well happen within a year. A speed bump I could cope with missing out on, but I'd rather not miss out on an entire case redesign, if only because it's likely to be thinner and lighter. (Also, it's possible they might do what they did with the iMac, and make it cheaper at the same time...)
OCTOBER 14TH
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

John Hoare Message #108514, posted by moss at 18:11, 9/10/2008, in reply to message #108513

Ah-ha! I'd known about the rumours about Oct 14th for a while, but nice to see it confirmed smile

Pretty much definitely getting one before Christmas. The budget is all set aside - it's just I'm right in the middle of moving to London at the moment, so I can only really justify getting it once me and Tanya are all settled in.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108535, posted by monkeyson2 at 14:55, 14/10/2008, in reply to message #108514

(Just over) THREE HOURS TO GO
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #108538, posted by monkeyson2 at 19:07, 14/10/2008, in reply to message #108535

(Just over) THREE HOURS TO GO
*explodes*
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #108539, posted by filecore at 20:14, 14/10/2008, in reply to message #108538

Oh for god's sake, get a life.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (5): |< < 2 > >|

The Icon Bar: General: What's your next computer?