User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Related articles
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed
- Timerun from Amcog games released
- RISCOSbits updates FAST ROM
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:10 reviewed
- The Book of Draw Stuff reviewed
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:9 reviewed
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:8 reviewed
- Drag'n'Drop 13i1 edition reviewed
- CachesFS and Iris update from WROCC November meeting
- November WROCC talk on Wednesday with R-Comp
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: The Book of Arcade Games reviews

The Book of Arcade Games reviews

Posted by Mark Stephens on 08:36, 14/12/2018 |

The Book of Arcade Games was launched at the recent RISC OS London Show.

The 130 page book contains updated and and enhanced listings for 10 of the best Arcade games from the Drag'n'Drop magazine. There is also a introductory guide on how to type in (and Chris was offering the already typed in code to download at the Show).

The Games are all written in BBC BASIC and there is a nice screenshot and description of each before the listing. The type is clear and readable, and the book is spiral bound, so sits flat on your desk. All this makes it very easy to follow the code.

If you are interested in programming RISC OS of just looking for a bit fo fun and nostalgia, I can recommend this book.

You can preview the book online for free and it costs 15 pounds (including postage) from Drag'n'Drop website.

The Book of Arcade Games reviews
  arawnsley (11:18 14/12/2018)
  flibble (23:15 15/12/2018)
    arawnsley (11:59 16/12/2018)

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124406, posted by arawnsley at 11:18, 14/12/2018
R-Comp chap
One thing I'd like to see from books like these is a more "broken down" listing where each PROC/FN is printed separately, with an explanation of what is being done and why.

Of course, those familiar with BASIC will be able to follow the code somewhat, but often the nuances or techniques aren't obvious, especially to new readers.

Adding more REMs to lines might also be helpful with this.

I say this because the main charm of type-in listings is being able to learn as you go, and fiddle with the program yourself. The more assistance the book/magazine gives with this, the better smile

And yes, at the back of my mind I'm thinking about the old Usborne books and the like from my youth. Although I forget the names, I remember borrowing several excellent ones (an underwater adventure with Davey Jones' Locker, and a Haunted Castle graphics/animation), plus longer adventures (Isle of something).

Even then, they tended to focus on art, clues and worldbuilding rather than necessarily explaining the code, so again, there's room for improvement.

[Edited by arawnsley at 11:22, 14/12/2018]

[Edited by arawnsley at 11:22, 14/12/2018]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Peter Howkins Message #124408, posted by flibble at 23:15, 15/12/2018, in reply to message #124406
flibble

And yes, at the back of my mind I'm thinking about the old Usborne books and the like from my youth. Although I forget the names, I remember borrowing several excellent ones (an underwater adventure with Davey Jones' Locker, and a Haunted Castle graphics/animation), plus longer adventures (Isle of something).
For a true hit of 80's nostalgia, Usborne released nearly all these books as free PDFs a couple of years ago, enjoy smile

https://usborne.com/browse-books/features/computer-and-coding-books/

And scroll down past the new ones
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124409, posted by arawnsley at 11:59, 16/12/2018, in reply to message #124408
R-Comp chap
Thanks Peter, yes. I found those after typing my message the other day.

Unfortunately, I've not found the series of four hard-back books which I mentioned in my post. I recall one was a graphics and sound "demo" of a haunted castle which had lightening flashes and a witch on a broomstick etc.

Another was an underwater text adventure, probably looking for treasure, but which included davey jones and his infamous locker.

I believe there were two others in the series too, but I'm not 100% sure. I remember finding the two on a "library van" mobile library which came to the village each week in the earlyu/mid 80s. Young me was amazed that such books existed, AND WERE ON THE VAN. It was (to little me) an unbelievable find.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: The Book of Arcade Games reviews