User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Related articles
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase
- February 2024 News Summary
- Next developer fireside chat
- DDE31d released
- South-West Show 2024 Report
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show
- Saturday is South-West Show
- ROOL releases updated Git Beta
- ROOL website gets a bit of a makeover
- January 2024 News Summary
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: A different kind of Archive Show report

A different kind of Archive Show report

Posted by Mark Stephens on 16:01, 28/9/2020 |

This year is a little bit different (you might have noticed). So events like the RISC OS shows are different. There are lots of online events, but unlikely to be the traditional 'physical' show where you can wonder round the stands. So Gavin Smith, the new editor of Archive Magazine, is thinking of a different kind of Show report for the London Show in the October edition of Archive magazine.

Rather than the traditional Show report (which covers all the stands), Gavin is thinking about a what else could appear in Archive. At the moment the aim is just to float some ideas (and definitely be complimentary to whatever ROUGOL are planning for their London Show).

One idea is that all those who would usually consider having a standard at any of the shows can have a 'virtual stand' in Archive. All they would need to do is to send Gavin some text, pictures, show news, details of special show offers, etc and he will publish it in Archive as part of a special section.

If you are interested, you will need to contact Archive by 5th October to get the details into the magazine.

Gavin is very keen to get feedback and ideas on what everyone in the Community would like to see. So what do you think?

Archive contact details

A different kind of Archive Show report
  Gavin (13:51 29/9/2020)
  Gavin (14:16 29/9/2020)

Gavin Wraith Message #124951, posted by Gavin at 13:51, 29/9/2020
Mark, did you mean 'complimentary' or 'complementary' to whatever ROUGOL are planninmg, or both perhaps? In case you need my services as nitpicker and commahunter, I am happy to provide them to Iconbar, and anywhere else in fact. We all need to feel useful in these Covid days, and not simply vulnerable and out of sight.
Yes, it is interesting to consider how Archive, and ROUGOL, could play new roles in lockdown. Traditionally many members of the RISC OS community had their own websites, where they could advertise their interests or software. These are not as interactive as more modern media, of course; in fact they probably unintentionally demonstrate the age of their owners, many of whom may well shun social media. I certainly do. Why not stick to email and websites as the Good Lord intended?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Gavin Wraith Message #124952, posted by Gavin at 14:16, 29/9/2020, in reply to message #124951
A brief afterthought on spam, fake news, sock-puppets and the convenience of virtual subeditors. It took me a long time to understand that it might be useful to have more than one email address, bank account, online identity, ... . The late Jim Nagel, bless him, did a lot for brightening Archive up with more biographical data for its authors, and never, as far as I know, introduced fictitious contributors. Publishing has a long history of fake or concealed authorship. Fiction can be entertaining, and safe. But since certain recent elections have taken place we have all come to feel more keenly the dangers of lies. But it seems to me perfectly acceptable that an editor should split his job up into sub-editorships, to be farmed out to others, both real and virtual. All of us, in fact, can do this with our online identities. The possibilities are endless.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: A different kind of Archive Show report