User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed (News:)
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: Storming of the Winter Palace...

Storming of the Winter Palace...
  (13:58 15/6/2002)
  Phlamethrower (11:45 3/3/2001)
  Gulli (16:38 4/3/2001)
    frood (22:31 18/4/2001)
  frood (23:14 18/4/2001)

Phlamethrower Message #4745, posted at 11:45, 3/3/2001, in reply to message #4744
Unregistered user Matthew Bloch's ARM tutorial from Arc World is up on his web site at http://www.soup-kitchen.net

It isn't up to date with all the latest things, but you can always replace it with a better one if you find one.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Gulli Message #4746, posted at 16:38, 4/3/2001, in reply to message #4744
Unregistered user C/C++ programming tutorial / hint articles would be great. Take on certain issues, explaining how to do this and that. WIMP programming and non-WIMP programming.
Maybe something covering certain libraries like DeskLib etc.
GCC installation and beginners help.

Anything BASIC is always a good bet.

I'm not sure a PHP tutorial is needed, maybe some installation help. PHP hardly is platform specific and there are plenty of both PHP information and tutorial websites and books around. Then again, if there are any SQL databases available for RISC OS that allow for some connection to PHP that would be excellent.

Writing web pages for RISC OS browsers would be appreciated, what do the browsers support and what don't they support and perhaps a list of browsers that are actively being developed.

Gulli

^[ Log in to reply ]

frood Message #4747, posted at 22:31, 18/4/2001, in reply to message #4746
Unregistered user
C/C++ programming tutorial / hint articles would be great. Take on certain issues, explaining how to do this and that. WIMP programming and non-WIMP programming.
Maybe something covering certain libraries like DeskLib etc.
GCC installation and beginners help.

Back in the old days, the Calcraft/Wrigley (Beebug) Wimp Programming For All book was a great help in enabling me to start writing BASIC WIMP programs - the comprehensive tutorial led to a working app shell with some basic functionality such as drawing, saving, WIMP messages etc.

I'm now moving over to C++ as a more powerful, flexible, future-proof language (and because of my degree course). It is preferable to BASIC when more than one person is working on (or will have to work on) the code. Ease of understanding and maintainability are very important. However, I'm aware that much code on RISC OS is written in C rather than C++.

A C++ equivalent of the book's BASIC WIMP tutorial would be fantastic. In my opinion the basic C/C++ programming is best learnt elsewhere (or at least covered separately).

Anything BASIC is always a good bet.

Unfortunately the Wimp Programming For All book is no longer available freely (I'm keeping mine!), which is a shame. Should this wheel be reinvented? Do we really want future programs to be written in BASIC, or should people be encouraged to move to C/C++?

I'm not sure a PHP tutorial is needed, maybe some installation help. PHP hardly is platform specific and there are plenty of both PHP information and tutorial websites and books around.

Agreed. Installation help would be handy. Non platform specific stuff should be left to other sources so that resources can be focussed on other much needed articles!

Francis

^[ Log in to reply ]

frood Message #4748, posted at 23:14, 18/4/2001, in reply to message #4744
Unregistered user Matthew - I take it you are aware of the Technology Consortium for RISC OS and its programming (tutorials) section (http://www.t-c-r.org/dev/docs.html) ?

Like with Peter Naull's RISC OS Projects Initiative and the Projects aspect of TCR - while extremely worthwhile - these efforts need to be co-ordinated to help avoid work going to waste. Unfortunately it looks like TCR may have lost its momentum and could do with having its profile raised.

My 2p's worth...

Francis

^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Message #4744, posted at 13:58, 15/6/2002
Unregistered user ...well, it feels like it with the snow we've been getting recently!

Anyway, I've been given responsibility for the programming section, and I just wondered if there was anything in particular people wanted to see appear there. I'm in the process of putting up short descriptions and introductions to the various languages available, and I am planning a series of PHP tutorials, seeing as we now have PHP on RISC OS so can use all its features without being online.

Also, if anyone has any relevant links they would like me to put up, just drop me a line. Thanks. smile

ATB,
Matthew - http://www.iconbar.com/programming/

[Edited by Matthew at 02:32, 3/3/2001]

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: Storming of the Winter Palace...