User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: General: Armx6 Not booting

Armx6 Not booting
  arnuphis (17:30 31/12/2018)
  justice (19:32 31/12/2018)
    arawnsley (19:55 31/12/2018)
      arawnsley (20:00 31/12/2018)
        arnuphis (20:36 31/12/2018)
          arawnsley (11:58 1/1/2019)
        regalcookk (13:53 31/1/2019)

Barrie Clark Message #124416, posted by arnuphis at 17:30, 31/12/2018
Hello everyone. I was a RiscOS user back in the 1990s with an A5000 and then RiscPC. I have missed the OS dearly since and recently decided to take the plunge and buy an ArmX6 from R-Comp. The computer arrived and worked okay for a few days. However Last week I turned it on and it crashed on loading after init mod NFS with the message mod init doneError: DataAbort:Abort on data transfer at &FC222D84(Error &80000002) and sat there.

I can still type *Desktop and get to a rudimentary desktop but I have no idea what to do from here. I reached out to R-Comp a few times but have been greeted with silence. I am not sure if they are just closed for the holidays (in which case an automated email response would have been nice) or that they don't really care once they have your money (which I hope is not the case). So, before I started demanding a refund I thought I would ask here in case its something of an easy fix. I never had any issues with my old machines so this is all a bit new to me.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Dave Lawton Message #124417, posted by justice at 19:32, 31/12/2018, in reply to message #124416
Barry,
R-Comp support is usually excellent.
Andrew does seem to suffer badly with colds, so coupled with the Xmas holiday, that would probably explain the lack of response.
Keep trying.
I've checked on my MX6, the only mention of NFS is !Omni, in the network folder.
This is booted in Predesk, so early in the boot sequence, and an issue here would cause the symptoms you have reported.
Since you can get to the desktop, go into the Network folder, and rename !Omni to something else, then reboot.

HTH
Dave
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124418, posted by arawnsley at 19:55, 31/12/2018, in reply to message #124417
R-Comp chap
Hi Barrie,

Sorry that you're having a problem. Dave summed it up quite exactly.

We *always* close for Christmas, and part of this is that email doesn't get downloaded at all - not touch - just lives on the ISP's server. I pull the plug for two weeks because it is the only time of the year that people (normally) allow us any time off. To be fair, I did actually check email on Boxing Day, I think. We ended up moving Christmas because of the illness until the end of the week.

This year, I started with a cold/flu on Christmas eve. I'm still ill - just left family party early because I felt too unwell to leave.

[Edited by arawnsley at 20:01, 31/12/2018]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124419, posted by arawnsley at 20:00, 31/12/2018, in reply to message #124418
R-Comp chap
As to the specific problem, it sounds like something is failing *after* NFS. I'd need to check what the *next* module is, but can't, quickly.

First thought - make sure you haven't plugged any odd USB devices in - unplug everything USB related and see if that affects things at all.

Next..

Start with a *unplug and see what modules are unplugged. I'd expect Net and maybe SDcmos to be unplugged. If anything else is, do *rmreinit modulename

Next, try holding Delete down at power-on which will (I hope) reset cmos.

Alternatively, download latest OS version from the user-website (see printed manual, inside back cover). Put the zip on a USB stick.

On ARMX6, you'll probably need to run FAT32FS to read the USB stick - it is in !Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk

Also, open !Boot.Resources (so that !System can be seen) and the Utilities folder so that SparkFS can be seen.

The USB stick should now be recognised.

Double click on the zip to open it.

You'll find !OSupgrade inside. Copy that out, probably to SDFS::1

Run !OSupgrade, and click "Update" to upgrade/downgrade/reflash the OS.

This will, in the process, reset CMOS (in case that's the problem).

If it still isn't working, I should be back at work on Jan 6th.

[Edited by arawnsley at 20:03, 31/12/2018]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Barrie Clark Message #124420, posted by arnuphis at 20:36, 31/12/2018, in reply to message #124419
Firstly, get well soon. There is nothing worse than being sick at the holidays. Secondly, my sincere thanks for replying.

I did the CMOS reset and it fixed the problem so not entirely sure what happened. If it happens again I will check the battery.

Once again thank you Andrew and my apologies if I mistook the lack of email replies for indifference.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124421, posted by arawnsley at 11:58, 1/1/2019, in reply to message #124420
R-Comp chap
If you're experimenting with older games and programs, some of them did nasty things with CMOS settings. It's a long shot, but might explain the problem.

Also, overnight, I remembered that I normally *unplug the module "PartMan" (Partition Manager) in case of any side effects if it isn't being used.

A spare copy of the "shipping" cmos settings can be found in Utilities.Caution, as well, although probably not worth fiddling if the machine is back up and running! smile

PS, glad all is sorted.

[Edited by arawnsley at 20:44, 1/1/2019]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Regal Cook Message #124438, posted by regalcookk at 13:53, 31/1/2019, in reply to message #124419
As to the specific problem, it sounds like something is failing *after* NFS. I'd need to check what the *next* module is, but can't, quickly.

First thought - make sure you haven't plugged any odd USB devices in - unplug everything USB related and see if that affects things at all.

Next..

Start with a *unplug and see what modules are unplugged. I'd expect Net and maybe SDcmos to be unplugged. If anything else is, do *rmreinit modulename

Next, try holding Delete down at power-on which will (I hope) reset cmos.

Alternatively, download latest OS version from the user-website (see printed manual, inside back cover). Put the zip on a USB stick.

On ARMX6, you'll probably need to run FAT32FS to read the USB stick - it is in !Boot.Choices.Boot.PreDesk

Also, open !Boot.Resources (so that !System can be seen) and the Utilities folder so that SparkFS can be seen.

The USB stick should now be recognised.

Double click on the zip to open it.

You'll find !OSupgrade inside. Copy that out, probably to SDFS::1

Run !OSupgrade, and click "Update" to upgrade/downgrade/reflash the OS.

This will, in the process, reset CMOS (in case that's the problem).

If it still isn't working, I should be back at work on Jan 6th.

[Edited by arawnsley at 20:03, 31/12/2018]
Thsi is very good thank you
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: General: Armx6 Not booting