Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:7)
- Rougol Talk May 2024 - Andy Vawer (News:)
- Rougol May 2024 meeting on monday with Andy Vawer (News:1)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: The Playpen: What have I done?

What have I done?
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Simon Wilson Message #101525, posted by ksattic at 00:23, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101454
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Is it because the crappy little speakers of the older Acorn computers just covered up the awfulness of the samples, or something? Or did we just tolerate such low quality in the late 80s and early 90s?
I know the A5000 had an audio filter which somewhat masked the crappiness of the 8 bit samples - if I play the same files on my RiscPC they sound much worse. In actuality, I am really just hearing all the grittiness in the sound.

I used to listen to music in Digital Symphony for hours back in the day!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Phil Mellor Message #101527, posted by monkeyson2 at 00:32, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101525
monkeyson2Please don't let them make me be a monkey butler

I used to listen to music in Digital Symphony for hours back in the day!
I recorded music from Phaethon to cassette tape for Walkman listening!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #101562, posted by VincceH at 15:24, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101449
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

I'll MP3 some of the better and/or more complete things and shove them online when I have a spare half hour later this week and you can use what you like.
Yay! smile
Obviously, this isn't the older (Coconizer) stuff, yet - this is more recent rubbi^w stuff created in ModPlus Tracker on Windows.

Starting with the more 'odd' stuff. They aren't finished, but they're about as finished as the stuff in the batch that follows.The 'mostly-but-not-quite-finished' set. And finally the somewhat-more-unfinished set. Some of these are little more than simple bass lines or potential intros.If any of it appeals and can be used in DeathDawn, use it if it can be used as is, or tell me which ones to finish - and if 'more like that' would be ideal.

Just don't rush me. I'm busy. smile

1. I've just noticed that the only ones I've come up with names for are the weird ones. Hmm.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #101563, posted by tribbles at 15:38, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101448
tribbles
Captain Helix

(It's all fairly simple stuff anyway, though - you might be better off trying to persuade Jason to get busy with his synths.)
*snort* I'm awake now...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #101564, posted by VincceH at 15:40, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101563
VincceH

(It's all fairly simple stuff anyway, though - you might be better off trying to persuade Jason to get busy with his synths.)
*snort* I'm awake now...
Well get your organ out, man! shock
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #101567, posted by filecore at 17:20, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101564

I used to have an excellent collection of Tracker modules to listen to, most of which were instrumental. There's one, I can hum the tune with precision (it was my favourite) but without lyrics and not knowing the title, it's kind of hard to describe. I think most of them came from AUCDs and the odd cover disk maybe. There was one that somebody did, which some of you might recognise, which featured sampled vocals from a flight simulator (phrases like "Look out!", "Danger!", "Pull up!") in a soft female voice. That was a fun one. Sadly a lot of mine seem to have gotten deleted (this was around the time that !Flux was released), but I'll fire up the RPC and have a poke around.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Tribbeck Message #101571, posted by tribbles at 18:36, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101564
tribbles
Captain Helix

So is it MP3 or something that is meant to be played standalone (like Tracker)?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #101572, posted by filecore at 18:39, 19/4/2007, in reply to message #101571

Program-specific; Tracker module or something.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #101629, posted by VincceH at 17:43, 21/4/2007, in reply to message #101468
VincceH

Is it because the crappy little speakers of the older Acorn computers just covered up the awfulness of the samples, or something? Or did we just tolerate such low quality in the late 80s and early 90s?
I suspect the former. Those tinny little speakers weren't up to much, but I don't recall coming across many computers with external speakers back then.
Well here's an oddity.

I've just converted one of my old Coconizer files into STracker format, loaded it into MPTracker and played it as is - with the samples that were converted along with it.

To me, it sounds vastly better1 - which I can't explain at all. Especially bearing in mind that I listened to both on the same physical hardware; my laptop with the sound fed out through my headphones.

1. Ignoring the fact that some of the effects and commands don't transfer - for example fades.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #102005, posted by Phlamethrower at 12:07, 6/5/2007, in reply to message #101562
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I'll MP3 some of the better and/or more complete things and shove them online when I have a spare half hour later this week and you can use what you like.
Yay! smile
Obviously, this isn't the older (Coconizer) stuff, yet - this is more recent rubbi^w stuff created in ModPlus Tracker on Windows.

Starting with the more 'odd' stuff. They aren't finished, but they're about as finished as the stuff in the batch that follows.The 'mostly-but-not-quite-finished' set. And finally the somewhat-more-unfinished set. Some of these are little more than simple bass lines or potential intros.If any of it appeals and can be used in DeathDawn, use it if it can be used as is, or tell me which ones to finish - and if 'more like that' would be ideal.

Just don't rush me. I'm busy. smile

1. I've just noticed that the only ones I've come up with names for are the weird ones. Hmm.
...they're great grin

The 'odd' stuff is very John Carpenter, if you catch my drift. Perfect for loading screens or any dramatic cut-scenes or on-foot bits.

The unfinished stuff sounds like it could be used for some of the radio... if it were finished tongue

The untitled stuff seems about halfway between John Carpenter, Lemmings, and radio fodder... perhaps not that great, but I might be able to squeeze some in somewhere.

[Edited by Phlamethrower at 12:08, 6/5/2007]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #102076, posted by VincceH at 08:51, 8/5/2007, in reply to message #102005
VincceH

...they're great grin
shock

The 'odd' stuff is very John Carpenter, if you catch my drift.
Yes. smile

Perfect for loading screens or any dramatic cut-scenes or on-foot bits.[

The unfinished stuff sounds like it could be used for some of the radio... if it were finished tongue
In some cases, the reason they aren't finished is because when I cobbled them toge... uh, started writing them, I just couldn't think of what to do 'on top'

However, if I'd taken them further...

The untitled stuff seems about halfway between John Carpenter, Lemmings, and radio fodder... perhaps not that great, but I might be able to squeeze some in somewhere.
Bearing in mind that when I first started writing this sort of music, it was specifically for use in games - and some was used in my old ones; Guardians of the Labyrinth, Drop Rock, Switch, Floopy. (Escape from Exeria used a couple of samples here and there as effects). Much of the old Coconizer stuff I have is very much like that. Some is just shit (or this might be because I've somehow lost some samples, and the replacements don't fit right). Some of the later ones probably sound okay, though.

I can't think about it this close to Wakefield1 - and probably the rest of May (I've been putting someone off doing some fairly urgent work, which I'll really need to get done after Wakefield), but as soon as I can I'll convert what I can and upload it.

Then I'll start thinking about finishing the unfinished.

1. I get the impression you aren't looking at a Wakefield release for DeathDawn. wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (2): |< < 2

The Icon Bar: The Playpen: What have I done?