Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: IyonixMesa status?

IyonixMesa status?
  terje (19:48 15/8/2008)
  ksattic (23:20 15/8/2008)
    terje (10:56 18/8/2008)
    terje (20:09 20/8/2008)
      Phlamethrower (02:00 17/2/2010)

Terje Slettebø Message #108016, posted by terje at 19:48, 15/8/2008
Hi.

I posted a question about IyonixMesa at c.s.a.programmer (http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.sys.acorn.programmer/browse_thread/thread/ba46aff631211ca5), and since Simon Wilson apparently hangs around here, I thought I'd post a link to the posting. Any replies may well be posted here.

I've read forum postings in the archive, and it seems he's been working on getting IyonixMesa to work on the FX cards.

Maybe one option would just be to swap the FX5200 card for a GeForce one? After all, what advantage does the FX card have when we can't use the graphics accelerator in the first place?

Regards,

Terje Slettebø
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Simon Wilson Message #108017, posted by ksattic at 23:20, 15/8/2008, in reply to message #108016
ksattic
Finally, an avatar!

Hey Terje,

I don't read the newsgroups any more, so good job looking for me here. smile I still have a similar Colorado address, but they changed servers, so the UCSU part is definitely incorrect.

IyonixMesa still doesn't work with the FX cards, but 2D on those cards works fine. I don't know of anyone who has been able to get an open source 3D driver running on anything better than the GeForce MX cards originally included with the Iyonix. I think that is going to be your only option.

I have a newer, faster version of the driver ready, but I have been asked not to release it as it is built as a shared library with gcc 4.1.1. I'll contact the GCCSDK devs to see if I can finally release it.

I also have windowing and multitasking support *almost* working.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Terje Slettebø Message #108052, posted by terje at 10:56, 18/8/2008, in reply to message #108017
Hi Simon.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't read the newsgroups any more, so good job looking for me here. smile I still have a similar Colorado address, but they changed servers, so the UCSU part is definitely incorrect.
Ok, could you perhaps have mailed me at tslettebo at broadpark dot nospam (remove "spam"), so that I get the right address, if you don't mind?

I might be able to help with the development, or at least things like testing, if you're interested.

IyonixMesa still doesn't work with the FX cards, but 2D on those cards works fine. I don't know of anyone who has been able to get an open source 3D driver running on anything better than the GeForce MX cards originally included with the Iyonix. I think that is going to be your only option.
I suspected that. I do have a GeForce card around, and was going to try it in my Iyonix, but as the Iyonix Cube case is quite cramped, I asked at the support list for the best approach for doing that.

I have a newer, faster version of the driver ready, but I have been asked not to release it as it is built as a shared library with gcc 4.1.1. I'll contact the GCCSDK devs to see if I can finally release it.
That would have been great.

I also have windowing and multitasking support *almost* working.
Cool.

Regards,

Terje
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Terje Slettebø Message #108105, posted by terje at 20:09, 20/8/2008, in reply to message #108017
This is a pity, as it means that whatever graphics you make with the library will only be viewable with the older card, which means that all customers from a couple of years back or more won't be able to view it.

Why was the older card easier to write a driver for (I know it was ported from the BeOS driver, but the question then becomes: How was that driver written)?

I'm trying to locate a GeForce card now, as it turns out that the one I had is an AGP version, and it's proven rather difficult to find a PCI version.

You (or someone else) don't happen to have one extra around that you could sell?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jeffrey Lee Message #113409, posted by Phlamethrower at 02:00, 17/2/2010, in reply to message #108105
PhlamethrowerHot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot Hot stuff

I've just spotted that the Nouveau feature matrix now lists NV30 (aka FX series) 3D support as being "mostly done". I'm pretty certain it didn't say this the last time I looked - good news for IyonixMesa, perhaps?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: IyonixMesa status?