Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- Archive Edition 27:2 reviewed (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i3 edition reviewed (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:5)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:2)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:2)
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: Basic Editor

Basic Editor
  smartie (18:03 1/3/2009)
  filecore (20:04 1/3/2009)
    smartie (21:51 1/3/2009)
      filecore (07:53 2/3/2009)
        Lampi (15:03 2/3/2009)
          smartie (17:58 2/3/2009)

David Jefferies Message #109437, posted by smartie at 18:03, 1/3/2009
So I've dusted off the RiscPC and want to do some assembler programming.

I've been messing about with StrongEd but to be honest I'm happier outside the GUI in the BASIC interpreter.

I remember I used to use the ARM Basic Editor that was invoked with the basic command 'Edit'

Works great except I can't remember what the keys do and I've looked everywhere including the PRMs and the Welcome guide and Google

Anyone remember how to use it?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #109440, posted by filecore at 20:04, 1/3/2009, in reply to message #109437

You have two options: you can drop out of the GUI altogether and into the BASIC interpreter by doing the following:

Press F12
At the * prompt, type: basic
Press enter

Your alternative is to access the Supervisor (RO's CLI) through a task window on the desktop - this means you can drop straight into the interpreter without first leaving the GUI. Get it by clicking on the Acorn (or other corporate symbol in RO4+) in the bottom right of the iconbar, or else press Ctrl+F12. Then simply repeat the * command noted above.

Was that what you were after?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Jefferies Message #109443, posted by smartie at 21:51, 1/3/2009, in reply to message #109440
I'm thinking of a specific editor that came bundled with RISC OS, I think it first appeared with Basic IV.

At the BASIC prompt type EDIT. This would load the editor.
Then type EDIT again and you'd enter a BASIC editor with white text on a blue background.

I remember using it a lot for editing BASIC and assembler programs I was writing.

I managed to get it going earlier today but I couldn't remember any of the short cut keys. For example I was trying to copy a block of code from one place to another but ended up doing it line by line because I couldn't remember the block copy command.

I'm sure the keys were described in one of the user manuals but I've lost them all except for the PRMs.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #109453, posted by filecore at 07:53, 2/3/2009, in reply to message #109443

Can't think of what you mean, but I'll just add that there's an easter egg in the interpreter I noted. Drop into the interpreter (either method) and type the following (case sentitive):

SYS "OS_Module",2,"IRQUtils"

It loads a full-screen Space Invades clone, using system sprites in place of invaders. Use Z for left, X for right, and RETURN for fire smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

James Lampard Message #109460, posted by Lampi at 15:03, 2/3/2009, in reply to message #109453
Lampi

So I've dusted off the RiscPC and want to do some assembler programming.

I've been messing about with StrongEd but to be honest I'm happier outside the GUI in the BASIC interpreter.

I remember I used to use the ARM Basic Editor that was invoked with the basic command 'Edit'

Works great except I can't remember what the keys do and I've looked everywhere including the PRMs and the Welcome guide and Google

Anyone remember how to use it?
It’s not included in the ROMs anymore, I suggest you download the module ArmBe from
http://jeffd.drobe.co.uk/

After running this 'Edit' should work at the command line.

Can't think of what you mean, but I'll just add that there's an easter egg in the interpreter I noted. Drop into the interpreter (either method) and type the following (case sentitive):

It's not in the interpreter - it's in IRQUtils.

[Edited by Lampi at 15:03, 2/3/2009]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Jefferies Message #109467, posted by smartie at 17:58, 2/3/2009, in reply to message #109460
The zip file on that site contains a Keystrip file which documents which keys do what. Thanks very much that was exactly what I was looking for!

The Help file refers to ArmBe as "the very ancient vintage editor for BBC Basic" which makes me feel old smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: Basic Editor