User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC May 2024 meeting on wednesday - Gerph talks games (News:)
- Upgrading your RISC OS system to 5.30 (News:1)
- Wakefield Show 2024 in Pictures (News:4)
- RISC OS 5.30 arrives (News:1)
- April 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- uniprint upgraded to 4.50 (News:)
- PhotoDesk 3.23 released (News:)
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
Related articles
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:11 reviewed
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed
- Timerun from Amcog games released
- RISCOSbits updates FAST ROM
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:10 reviewed
- The Book of Draw Stuff reviewed
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:9 reviewed
- WROCC Newsletter Volume 41:8 reviewed
- Drag'n'Drop 13i1 edition reviewed
- CachesFS and Iris update from WROCC November meeting
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: News and features: CLFiler 1.35 reviewed

CLFiler 1.35 reviewed

Posted by Mark Stephens on 07:43, 6/7/2023 |

CLFiler is a filer for RISC OS machines which offers a number of additional features compared to the normal RISC OS filer. It has been been developed by CLoverLeaf as a commercial product. You can use both together and drag and drop between filer windows.

CLFIler is supplied as a zip which contains the actual program, a copy of !Boot to merge with yours and some additional software (FFmpeg and ImageMagick) which extends CLFiler. There is a detailed readme telling you how to install the software.

The software installs itself on the left of the Icon Bar and has a large selection of configuration options.

When you run CLFiler you wil be presented with a new Filer window with a lot of new options. Note the file sizes bottom left.

The most obvious enhancement offered by CLFIler is the rather nice tree view structure of the directories.

The actual filer display has a large number of options., incuding some nice ones to show file size.

The thumbnails option will display any images as thumbnails.

The search performs a realtime search - again lots of parameters to control.

Settings are remembered between sessions, so if you quit and reload, it will remember your settings.

Overall I thought CLFiler is a really useful addition to RISC OS. If you want a more powerful Filer which offers more features, it is definitely trying the demo version.

Cloverleaf website

CLFiler 1.35 reviewed
  nunfetishist (10:25 6/7/2023)
  arenaman (18:21 6/7/2023)
    richw (18:52 6/7/2023)
      arenaman (15:40 7/7/2023)
        Raik (14:01 9/7/2023)

Rob Kendrick Message #125463, posted by nunfetishist at 10:25, 6/7/2023
nunfetishist
Today's phish is trout a la creme.

Does it still require stupendous amounts of memory and crash a lot? I'm glad to see they've taken their market seriously and used American spellings, too!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Stubbs Message #125465, posted by arenaman at 18:21, 6/7/2023, in reply to message #125463
It doesn't look very RISC OSsy.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Richard Walker Message #125466, posted by richw at 18:52, 6/7/2023, in reply to message #125465
I have never tried it, but those screenshots are quite impressive. The Filer is pretty limiting these days. There is no denying that things like info bars, previews, re-sizing of icons, tree views and so on are very useful. Fair play to all those involved.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Michael Stubbs Message #125470, posted by arenaman at 15:40, 7/7/2023, in reply to message #125466
I have never tried it, but those screenshots are quite impressive. The Filer is pretty limiting these days. There is no denying that things like info bars, previews, re-sizing of icons, tree views and so on are very useful. Fair play to all those involved.
As long as it remains just an option I'm good with all these add ons. I have always vastly preferred the way vanilla RISC OS does things, and the way it looks, and learning on it at school really taught me well about computers (the drag and drop to save, for example, ingrains directory structure in you). Having to use Windows 95 was not a pleasant change.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Raik Fischer Message #125471, posted by Raik at 14:01, 9/7/2023, in reply to message #125470
I try V1.42 at this time, I mean. ;-)
You can untick any or all the new options in the choices and any for startup in !Run.
It works stable for me and fast enough (and faster if you disable all the debug and log stuff).
I try on RPCEmu (4.39 and 3.71), Linux port (works also with IXFS now), a9home, Pi, Titanium and Pinebooks.
For video thumbnails it needs an actually ffmpeg so it not works on a9home and the Emu's. The old ffmpeg needs an other syntax.
Summary it works nice if you need...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: News and features: CLFiler 1.35 reviewed