User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- R-Comp reveals N.Ex.T Boxes - the successor to the i.MX6 (News:)
- RISCOSbits at Wakefield Show 2024 (News:)
- R-Comp releases Genealogy v2 (News:)
- Will we see 5.30 released at Wakefield show? (News:1)
- Sine Nomine updates RiscOSM and Impact (News:)
- Netfetch version 5.55 released (News:)
- Prizes for Wakefield Show announced (News:)
- Heretic update from R-Comp (News:)
- Wakefield Show 2024 is next Saturday (News:)
- Git client updated to 0.07 (News:2)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
The Icon Bar: Programming: UI design tool?

UI design tool?
  (14:17 27/2/2002)
  monkeyson (14:27 27/2/2002)
    ninj (18:03 27/2/2002)
      moss (14:58 15/6/2002)
    mfrissen (14:58 15/6/2002)
  johnstlr (10:41 28/2/2002)
    mfrissen (10:50 28/2/2002)
      johnstlr (14:58 15/6/2002)
        Phlamethrower (19:28 28/2/2002)
          johnstlr (09:41 1/3/2002)
            Phlamethrower (19:52 1/3/2002)
            johnstlr (17:35 28/2/2002)
              rich (14:58 15/6/2002)
    bmsh (13:38 28/2/2002)
    bmsh (13:40 28/2/2002)

mfrissen Message #4924, posted at 14:17, 27/2/2002
Unregistered user Hi,

new to ROS programming, but not to gnu gcc, I've decided to download the GCC port. I've also found a frontend for gcc, but is there a tool to quickly design windows and such, without coding the basic structures yourself?
any pointer appreciated.

^[ Log in to reply ]

monkeyson Message #4925, posted at 14:27, 27/2/2002, in reply to message #4924
Unregistered user
Hi,

new to ROS programming, but not to gnu gcc, I've decided to download the GCC port. I've also found a frontend for gcc, but is there a tool to quickly design windows and such, without coding the basic structures yourself?
any pointer appreciated.

I've not really used these two, but they exist:

FormEd: http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/progs.frameset.html

FormEdExt: http://www.movspclr.co.uk/software/prog.html#formedext

And my favourite, TemplEd: http://www.acornsearch.com/cgi-bin/search?type=Files=templed

There's also the Toolbox modules provided as part of Acorn's C/C++, which with the ResEd editor are very good. These cost money, although I've heard you can convert the demo version into a working, saving copy, somehow.

All these programs are good because they help you to preserve the style guide (Toolbox/ResEd especially).

^[ Log in to reply ]

ninj Message #4927, posted at 18:03, 27/2/2002, in reply to message #4925
Unregistered user I seem to remember looking at WinEd when I was looking to start coding my second WIMP program. I never did get that far with it - to date the total number of WIMP applications I've written is 1.5, and the 1 doesn't exactly work properly.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4929, posted at 10:41, 28/2/2002, in reply to message #4924
Unregistered user
Hi,

any pointer appreciated.

If you're looking for something on the lines of Microsoft tools (or those in other IDEs like Delphi and JBuilder) then you're out of the luck. The closest thing (as pointed out) is ResEd which is really only available with Acorn C. 125 quid might seem steep but it's half its original retail price was. Having said that if all you want is ResEd then it probably isn't worth the cash as the manuals are available on the PRMs CD from RISC OS Ltd.

Otherwise there are template editors. A template is just a definition of structures like windows which most libraries (such as Desk, OSlib and I gues ROVLib) can use directly but you still have to link up your UI manually. Having said that it seems more experience toolbox developers tend to do this anyway rather than rely on ResEds autocreation facilities.

WinEd is at

http://realh.worldonline.co.uk/wined.html

^[ Log in to reply ]

mfrissen Message #4930, posted at 10:50, 28/2/2002, in reply to message #4929
Unregistered user thanks.

I am wondering if ROS Ltd is still using the Norcroft tools, or that they have transferred to the gcc compiler suite? I guess the first..

and, no I'm not looking at M$ tools, I'm old-school unix, so command prompts don't scare me. I just need to have a frame I can work with, without doing _everything_ myself.

^[ Log in to reply ]

bmsh Message #4931, posted at 13:38, 28/2/2002, in reply to message #4929
Unregistered user Ooops, I messed that up -- see below...

[Edited by bmsh at 13:43, 28/2/2002]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

bmsh Message #4932, posted at 13:40, 28/2/2002, in reply to message #4929
Unregistered user
125 quid might seem steep but it's half its original retail price was.

You can get it from CJE <http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/prices/swoffers/other.shtml> for £80 now, although it's obviously still too much to pay just to get ResEd.

^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4940, posted at 17:35, 28/2/2002, in reply to message #4936
Unregistered user

Why Eeek? to me it sounds like RISCOS Ltd has been given free hand to do with RISC OS what they think is good. Pace has not been doing anything with RISC OS anyway (yes, with parts of it, but have you seen ROS 4 on an STB?)

I have, running a truckload of RISC OS apps too.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4941, posted at 19:28, 28/2/2002, in reply to message #4934
Unregistered user
I would imagine Norcroft because the compiler can produce module code. I know some people think writing modules in C is sacrilege, but IMHO those people need to wake up and join the real world of software engineering.

It seems to me RISC OS Ltd really should look into supporting the GCC team to enable it to produce module code and see about sourcing a 3rd party version of ResEd. Otherwise new developers won't be able to get hold of the tools they need to write code, and then what?

cmunge is a free alternative for producing modules. I downloaded it a few months ago, but haven't used it yet.

^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4942, posted at 09:41, 1/3/2002, in reply to message #4941
Unregistered user

cmunge is a free alternative for producing modules. I downloaded it a few months ago, but haven't used it yet.

Yes, and is absolutely useless without a compiler that can generate module code. CMunge is a replacement for CMHG where Norcroft is available. GCC simply cannot produce code appropriate for modules.

The code produced by Norcroft for modules ISN'T the same as it produces for normal applications.

^[ Log in to reply ]

Phlamethrower Message #4943, posted at 19:52, 1/3/2002, in reply to message #4942
Unregistered user Doh!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4935, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4934
Unregistered user
The latest Acorn User has a small news article that states Pace have effectively shut the door on RISC OS Ltd. Basically it sounds like RISC OS Ltd will not get any further updates to either the OS or the tools.
Eeek. unhappy
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

mfrissen Message #4936, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4935
Unregistered user

Eeek. unhappy

Why Eeek? to me it sounds like RISCOS Ltd has been given free hand to do with RISC OS what they think is good. Pace has not been doing anything with RISC OS anyway (yes, with parts of it, but have you seen ROS 4 on an STB?)

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4937, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4936
Unregistered user
Eeek. unhappy

Fair enough - but ROL still don't have the money to do anything... unhappy I really, really, really wish that ROL, Microdigital, Riscstation and Castle were one company... One new company could have been set up, and all the resources could have been pooled together.

^[ Log in to reply ]

rich Message #4938, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4937
Unregistered user And one ring to rule them all? smile

There is *something* to be said for diversity. Or maybe I've just been watching too many scary programmes about the Black Death and Aids recently wink

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4939, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4938
Unregistered user There definitely is something to be said for diversity... but not when the market is as small as it is at the moment... I really believe there being four seperate companies is a big mistake. For instance, with the Mico and R7500 - there's already a large duplication of effort there.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but it annoys me. unhappy

[Edited by moss at 16:35, 28/2/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

johnstlr Message #4934, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4930
Unregistered user
thanks.

I am wondering if ROS Ltd is still using the Norcroft tools, or that they have transferred to the gcc compiler suite? I guess the first..

I would imagine Norcroft because the compiler can produce module code. I know some people think writing modules in C is sacrilege, but IMHO those people need to wake up and join the real world of software engineering.

How much longer this remains the case is difficult to say. The latest Acorn User has a small news article that states Pace have effectively shut the door on RISC OS Ltd. Basically it sounds like RISC OS Ltd will not get any further updates to either the OS or the tools.

It seems to me RISC OS Ltd really should look into supporting the GCC team to enable it to produce module code and see about sourcing a 3rd party version of ResEd. Otherwise new developers won't be able to get hold of the tools they need to write code, and then what?

and, no I'm not looking at M$ tools, I'm old-school unix, so command prompts don't scare me. I just need to have a frame I can work with, without doing _everything_ myself.

Under RISC OS you pretty much have to do everything yourself. Fortunately the few developers that are left are pretty helpful smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

mfrissen Message #4933, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4932
Unregistered user

You can get it from CJE <http://www.cjemicros.co.uk/micros/prices/swoffers/other.shtml> for £80 now, although it's obviously still too much to pay just to get ResEd.

I think I'll use Templed with gcc.. I'm familiar with gcc tools, and am not afraid to use command line.. smile I've spent too much money this month anyway on RISC OS stuff..
- Photodesk,
- select
- viewfinder
- foundation

my pockets are empty smile

^[ Log in to reply ]

moss Message #4928, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4927
Unregistered user
I seem to remember looking at WinEd when I was looking to start coding my second WIMP program. I never did get that far with it - to date the total number of WIMP applications I've written is 1.5, and the 1 doesn't exactly work properly.

I once managed to write a dodgy CD player - and then, thankfully, my hard drive went down. smile

[Edited by moss at 18:05, 27/2/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

mfrissen Message #4926, posted at 14:58, 15/6/2002, in reply to message #4925
Unregistered user
And my favourite, TemplEd: http://www.acornsearch.com/cgi-bin/search?type=Files=templed

This link returns the incorrect result.
I think you meant: blahblahblah

[edit]I give up! the links have a length restriction, or the '&' is some truncating character? clicking the link actually results the right URL, but as you can see, it doesnt SHOW the right one..[/edit]

(and c&p-ing the link to the arc file, I also find 'WinEd' .. another one, I guess.

There's also the Toolbox modules provided as part of Acorn's C/C++, which with the ResEd editor are very good. These cost money, although I've heard you can convert the demo version into a working, saving copy, somehow.

Well, one of the reasons why I want to use the gcc is that it's free smile AcornC is priced to steep for now.
I also downloaded OSLib, and am looking into ROVlib, I'm not yet sure where these fit in.. it might be easier to get AcornC in the future maybe.

[Edited by mfrissen at 15:03, 27/2/2002]

^[ Log in to reply ]

The Icon Bar: Programming: UI design tool?